Sunday, April 20, 2008

Point (17 year) Break


I was talking to a producer (Gary Bromham) who I have not seen in YEARS. We met at Woodcliff Studio here in Sherman Oaks, California. I have done so many recordings there and since he was visiting from England on vacation and both love that studio and it's owner Frank, (Whew... long sentance) we ended up there. Of course I brought donuts, (after all Don is short for Donuts). Brump bump - but seriously folks.

Anyway, last I saw Gary he had hired me to play on some tracks he was producing for Sheryl Crow. This was the early 90's I think, and soI  asked "Gary, what ever happened to those songs?". I was curious as I recall playing Stick on them. As it turns out he said, "Oh, one of the tunes "Hundreds of Tears" went into the movie "Point Break" with Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves" (1991).

Well there ya have it. I never knew. I tend to do a session and leave, not keeping track of what happens after. In his case something delightful. As I recall, it was a rather fun easy going session. Both Gary and Sheryl knew what they wanted and also let me be free to do what I do. 

Well that's the story. I'll be in Gary's neck of the woods next month as we (Rocket Scientists band) go to England for the Rotherham Progressive Rock Festival. We'll be sharing the stage with "Wishbone Ash". So Gary and I will meet up again, this time without 17 years going in between. I don't think England has donuts like we do... maybe he'll show up with 'blood pudding'... Yikes sound awful, "But secretly --- I like it". I'll tell ya though, before I ate it I had to repeat the name so many times so that it didn't have meaning to me anymore, just a blurb of vowels and consonants. Once I got past that, it didn't look like it says. After eating it, I kind of compare it to our "Denny's Restaurant" sausage patties!

For some of you that probably doesn't say much for the sausage patty, but.... whatta ya gonna do.