Thursday, May 1, 2008

So close and yet!

So I stayed at the Las Vegas Hilton last week. It was wonderful. I have SooOoOOooo many great memories there from when I was the 'house bassist' for the showroom. That's where I got to play the Elvis show. Yes, it was incredible.

Some of my favorite Las Vegas adventure stories get to be quite long so I'll direct you to an E-zine that published a few of them in an interview... There are even has some spiffy pictures as well.
------------............Las Vegas Stories.......--------- 

However I'll tell a brief Elvis story here and tie it into this picture of me and the statue of Elvis.

First a little about this Statue, as it commemorates 8 YEARS of sold out shows. I was able to be apart of his last Hilton appearance as he died shortly after that gig in 1977.  Whoa already in my head as I start the story, I can see how long it can get, there are actually two cool stories, I'll chop the first one down to size and tell the other one another time. Sooooo there I am playin' the Elvis show, the legend that ya just couldn't take you eyes off of. I've seen his movies since I was 10 and NOW here he is right in front of me! It was great, however.... he was 'very' well insulated. Body Guards (very large ones) never let him out of arms reach except to go out on stage.

It was grand, the 2001 one music theme would start and he curtain was closed. It looked like a 'football' huddle and Elvis was in the middle of a circle of 'large' personal bodyguards. When the curtain opened, so would the huddle and out he'd go to a screaming, frantic, excited audience. You could "feel the rush". Okay, so the show ends and the 'huddle' awaits him and off he goes to his private elevator (backstage) on up to his suites.

Tony Decaprio (house guitarist) and myself get invited to his private party after the show, sounds simple enough however there were many stages of bodyguards to go through who didn't know us... fortunately at every 'way station' an 'inside' person was there that could vouch for us.

We get up to the "Elvis Suite" and right before we go in, two security guards spot 'movement' behind these giant potted plants. They RUSH over and haul out to woman hiding in them and drag them to the exits. A bit scary and intimidating I must say. AND so we then go in. I must add here that the 'high alert' was justified as at that time Elvis was getting a death threat that they hadn't been able to resolve as to who it is. Very nerve racking I'm sure as 'each' performance left him vulnerable the moment he left the huddle.

So, now I'm in the suite with a small group of people, most of whom I didn't know and we're waiting for Elvis. I'm thinkin' "Wow, what am I gonna talk to him about!?" Hmmm what could I possible say that he hasn't heard a million times already?" Well, I labored over that thought a good twenty minutes when all of a sudden... the entry double doors open up --- we look up excited when...... "A large necked bodyguard pops through and says, "Elvis doesn't feel like havin' a fuckin' party, everybody get out!"

Eh... so you see the picture picture of me with the statue, well, oddly enough is some ways, that's about as close as I ever got to him. I had planned on such great conversations, but saddly his untimely death. "God rest your soul Elvis!"

Epilogue: My impressions of who he was in no way reflect the bodyguards actions. I saw him as very generous, kind, someone that strived to be a great role model. In many ways he succeeded, the other stuff I cannot judge. How would all that fame, money and pressure have shaped my personality? I don't know, however.... I'm up for finding out!!! LOl!

Remind me when you see me to tell the other Elvis story, "It'll be the 'icebreaker' when we meet on the road. Mention "Doctor TCB".

Be well, and hold fast!
Don