Friday, March 13, 2009

"Strings and Things"

Hi Everyone!!! (and especially 'you') See it's a personal posting just for you.


I've had a few gigs come up where I was thinkin' "Ya know.... if I had a thicker string gauge on the NS melody side I could..." (insert picture of me staring into space on a gig thinking this while counting bars so I don't miss the next entrance... (suddenly I see theres a 6 bar drum solo...I think to myself, " why not just take 8 bars so I don't have to count... I can feel 8 - I'll have to count 6". --- Oh well, I'm a pro, I guess I can count to 6, let's see thats one hand and one finger... Alright! Got it - hopefully the drummers counting too!)

Oh yeah, I had an idea going. It goes like this. At times I like to play 'across' the neck because of the "tones on that area of the neck". Especially say the "Eb" on the open "D" string and of course the "Ab" on the open "G" string. (first fret on those strings for us 'tab' readers).

SUre, if it were just a matter of 'string thickness' I could always play those notes higher up on the previous strings... however the tone is different on that part of the neck (even though it's the same pitch).

I love the regular NS/Stick gauge but the melody strings are to light to pluck "bass player style" on those open strings and lower frets. You get the 'thwack' sound if you dig in.

-----------------
NS medium/regular

1-Bb-11
2-F-14
3-C-20
4-G-30
5-D-44
6-A-65
7-E-87
8-B-128

(I substitute a .09 for the thinnest string that normally is an .11).

"WHY?? the .09" I hear you ask.

Because you can use the old .09's to slice cheese and donuts!! "Really... no." BUT you can "Bend" the heck out of it and it won't break!

ON the light gauge a technique I sometimes use is to pluck the bass strings (like a bassist) with my RH - first and second fingers. Then for the other half of the rif switch my hand shape to pluck the melody strings with my thumb, 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers. Very 'guitar-esk'.

I do that to 'capture' the feel. I want my bass notes to sings like a bass player and my melody strings to sing like a guitar player.

(Tip 'o the day: Just playing the right notes isn't good enough - Music is about 'feeling'. If you don't capture that, then you've only told half the story.... leaving out passion and interest).

I visited Stick Enterprises and Emmett had already thought this through and had the thicker gauge set all mapped out and ready for us to try. All I thought about was, "Gee I hope the "G" string is around a .40 cause that's what I like my Fender to be around. And of course, as serendippity would have it, he was right in there. Emmett you are "incredible".

So, now I've got my 'new' gauges to try out.

NS Heavy gauge set:

1-Bb-13
2-F-20
3-C-30
4-G-44
5-D-65
6-A-87
7-E-106
8-B-128

Of course it's 'different' so my first reaction is... "I can't bend the strings like I used to - WHAT HAVE I DONE!." However this thicker gauge makes plucking bass notes into the melody strings feel good and it is easier to hold the tone without the 'thwack' sound of "over powering" the string.

Yes, learning to pluck across 8 strings and navigating to the correct ones at times feels like jumping the Grand Canyon on a tri-cycle... however once you get it!... Ohhhhhh, ahhhhh, the wind in face, your feet pedaling like crazy, then the lift off!!! ahhh very nice. A great technique, worthy of this new gauge.

So off I go out from SE with my 'new' gauge intact to the first session. That's the only way I know is to just "take it in the field' for the ultimate test.

Session #1: Singer/songwriter session. Great tune by the way and very picky producer/engineer. Really liked the tone and I liked the extra melody tension and tone their as well. A success for the new gauge.

Session #2. High end studio, I saw this band play live at the Whisky on Sunset. Great presence, tunes, playing and Ohhh darn fine look too. A couple days later I got a call from their producer and engineer to do their CD. Here's the fun part. Average age of the band SEVENTEEN!!! Kids today I tell ya. Fortunately no mirrors were in the studio so I wasn't able to see me lookin' like eveyone's dad! LOL.

The producer and engineer where seasoned music veteran and had there minds set on using an old vintage Fender Jazz bass. I brought the NS. I played both. Both sounded great, I would have prefered the NS but... because I think they had mentally decided on the Fender, "And that's what NIRVANA used" that tipped the scale for them. They then marked future songs for the NS. So we'll get there on the next session.

Well, let me still experiment. Quick synopsis: As I still 'miss' the regular gauge, as I love to finesse the strings with vibrato, bends and such. Yet, the heavier gauges gives us a deluxe relaxing bass feel and allows ease of 'tone' on the first few frets plucking the melody strings ('bass player') style.

"Rocket Scientist" quick tour coming up. C'mon down, I'll shovel the snow outta the way for ya.

ROCKET SCIENTISTS
with special guest vocal appearances by Lana Lane and John Payne of (Asia feat. John Payne)
Saturday, March 28, 2009
The Winchester
12112 Madison Ave
Cleveland, Ohio 44107
216-226-5681
http://www.thewinchester.ne


I'll try the new gauge on that gig and I'll have more to say about it then. It's an ongoing experiment and I'll keep us posted.
"Be well, play Loud 'N Proud"
Don