Saturday, September 6, 2008

"A nice surprise call"

I got a surprise call this morning. The Dave Mason band is on tour and their bassist went to the hospital (we wish you a speedy recovery). So when that happens you need to cover the dates coming up... so I got a call this morning to see about my availability.  I suggested if it looks like they'll need me to send me mp3's of the set, I'll arrive off the jet ready to go.

Regardless of whether they will need me this time, it's nice knowing someone was kind enough to think of you. "Thanks Guys!"

For those Dave Mason Fans you already know that at 19 he wrote the classic "Feelin' Alright". A great song and even more so when you get to play it with the original artist!

How many times have you played "Johnny B. Goode" - to many we'd say, however I had the honor to play it with Chuck Berry and I tell ya, It took on a whole new level and meaning. It was great as the original 'spark' was there. Not just three chords and a rif but the original spark of 'why the tune works'. A great moment.


Another deluxe moment was the time I was doing a TV show and got to play one of my all time favorite songs, "Let's Stay Together".  You guessed it, with Al Greene (and a reverend at that
time too). A kind and humble man, it was truly a great experience performing with him and meeting him.

You all have a great day, 'who knows what calls we'll get and who we'll hear from tomorrow!"
Don