Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Amp Praises


I did a solo show a few months ago in San Diego. Pictured is the amazing - Mike Alvarez joining me on cello for a couple numbers.

The part I like the best about this picture is my trusty blue Tuck 'n Roll Kustom amp. It gets one 'good' sound and one only. Fiddle with the knobs and.... "Eh," ya always go back to 'the one good sound. Funny little amp. but it does the job for small venues and delivers my sound.

Back in the day when these where new, late 60's early 70's a had a couple... then amps came out with "Graphic EQ's" Ohhhhhh somethin' new I had to have and tossed these aside for the "Acoustic 360" (remember thoughs amps. --- 3 useable sounds lol.) Well after 4 decades of "gotta get that amp." I find the Kustom just plan easy and what it may lack in "Superb" hifi sound it makes up for in looks! Just look at it - it's an Italian restaurant booth wrapped around some speakers... who would of thought it!

My brother (Dave who was in the Navy Commodores band - ohhhh very prestigious and elite section of the Navy) was on tour and at sea. The band he was with at that time carried those Kustom amps and they fell overboard and 'splash' right int the ocean! "Well," he said, "They floated and after they fished them out and dried them ..... They WORKED!"

Once on tour when I was a teenager touring threw Europe with these amps... we plugged into the wrong voltage... all the other amps immediately smoked and blew out.... Not the Kustom, it held on. So ya see... great look, durable, one good tone... and after ALL these years, I still use 'em. Did I mention, they're great to sit on too... And after all these years, that's gettin' to be a nice bonus too! Lol
Don