Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"We're on our way!"


Well almost on our way, we leave tomorrow for Las Vegas. I love the drive, (I have the option to fly) but since my wife is going and it's nice to have a car their.... we'll (and by we I mean I'll) drive. I always do the drivin', I'm not complaining, she's a wonderful driver I just can't sleep when she drives, so I might as well stay awake in front of the wheel.

I've proven myself over the years in all weather, high speed blow outs, skids, near misses and.... hits. We survived them all! (Dear God keep up the good record). I suppose we could say if I was really good at drivin' their wouldn't be any skids, high speed tire blow outs, near misses and hits... but alas, the bright side of all that is you never know how you'll re-act until you're called upon to act. Experience "I have".

The rains are over so... no floods, that's good and I suppose the desert may bloom after all the rain. That's one of the most beautiful sights when the yellow desert flowers are out ALL over. Short lived but spectacular. I've seen that rarity as well as the 'snow' over the desert... AND that my friends is why I love this drive... "and I can't sleep if she does". 

She sleeps fine, but back in the day though on 5 and 6 hour trips, she'd get restless and we traveled with a lovely small dog "Pete" -  who after being in a few of the "tire blow out" events at high speeds - became a 'nervous' traveler.  He would 'pant' sooooo much and So LOUD ... that the car would fill up with the smell of his breath (no dogs that cute, as cute as he was).  ...And the solution to all this long drive, close quarters and on each others nerves?......, "Pills for everyone!!!" Downers for the wife, downers for the dog AND a nice quiet and relaxing drive for me. Ah, those were the days.

Now days - with 3 cats and 2 dogs.... it's even simpler -  they all stay home with a sitter (except the wife). And with that she's mellowed in the passenger seat, reads, sleeps maybe I'll take the laptop so she can watch movies... oh and now she has her own iPod, so for her it's pretty much like a real nice flight, 4 1/2 hours long - but nice.

Well I better go take care of some loose ends, be safe, I'll write from "Vegas" if I get a chance.
Don