Sunday, January 13, 2008

"I took the Rap!"

I had a very fun session today unlike any other... a first in fact. I get a call to use my studio from a new "Rap" group. I've never recorded that style before in my studio. The gentleman that called is even a Hells Angel member so I thought, "Wow, this will be REAL interesting" and I asked "Will you come roaring in with your motorcycle!?" He said, no. (Dag Nabbit, I wanted the full effect). Oh well next time perhaps, and so he and his buddy show up and I tell ya, I had one of the funniest and fun times.

They were so nice, really held a great vocal rhythmic groove over top their pre-recorded tracks. I asked how they usually track and so he said that they will bring a cd of their music track and I'll record them rapping over that. 

Easy enough and I had heard a few of their songs from their Myspace and though I'm not offended by cussing I'm just not used to hearing that much in so short an amount of time! And so I joked, "Well okay then bring the tracks on over, I'll load them in my studio and you can then cus over top of it!" I got a good laugh and wasn't killed.

We had such fun and they were all so nice. I kinda felt old because I don't listen to much rap and they were in their 20's but I REJOICED when I loaded in their tracks and it was old school R&B!!! I love that! 

After they left, I started mixing to send them a copy tomorrow. I couldn't resist 'not playing' and I enjoyed the R&B so much I figured to lift the chorus's I'd add some live hammond organ and clavinet parts. Hey, I had fun, I'm done... I'm up late writing this post... and find myself thinkin'...."Hmmmm it could be so much better if "I" wrote and recorded some R&B riffs for them... TO CUSS OVER! LOL
Don